Flatbush Family Seeks Help After Blaze Kills Son
Many families who live in buildings without heat can only find warmth and comfort by using a space heater in their apartment. On Saturday, February 9th, a space heater reportedly started a fire at 2773 Bedford Avenue in Flatbush at 3 a.m.– killing 8- year-old Aschton Charles, who was sleeping on the living room floor in the apartment. Now, the family is asking for the public’s help to assist with their immediate needs – including the burial of their child.
While everyone else managed to make it out of the building alive, Fire Department officials were unable to rescue little Aschton in time as they pulled him from the burning building. Residents said the heating system in the home wasn’t working and there were no operating smoke detectors. The family lost everything in the fire and have been living in short-term housing provided by the American Red Cross.
At a press conference this week, the boy’s father Herbert Charles held up a photo of his son, who he said would come home every day and ask “Daddy, how was your day?”
The family’s church, World Mission Assembly, recently set up a bank account and there will be an Aschton Charles Fund set up soon.
“I thank the Fire Department, the Red Cross, local clergy and neighbors on Bedford Avenue for their immediate efforts to assist in this crisis, including providing comfort and temporary shelter,”
Williams said. “I am now asking for anyone with means to lend a hand as well. This family, who just lost everything they possessed, lack the funds to lay Aschton to rest. Monetary donations can be given directly via check to their church, the World Missions Assembly at 1407 Flatbush Avenue, Brooklyn, NY 11210 with attention made to the “Charles Fund”. Additionally, clothing and non-perishable food will be accepted by the church as well as my district office at 4517 Avenue D. Let us pull together for our own in this hour of need.”