2012-03-08 / Sports

Kangaroos Get The Jump On Vikings In PSAL Quarter Finals

Coach Beckles rallies team during a timeout Coach Beckles rallies team during a timeout They had the crowd support and a vocal cheerleading outfit, but still could not get the job done.

The South Shore Vikings tumbled out of this season’s PSAL boys basketball championship at the hands of arch-rivals Boys and Girls Kangaroos, going down 63-51 in the city quarter finals at St. John’s College on Sunday.

After splitting their two regular season games, South Shore had a chance to exert their superiority and at the same time reach the last four games of the competition. Unfortunately, they were no match for the Kangaroos,as poor shooting and errant ball handling, which plagued them throughout the competition, continued to haunt them.

Boys and Girls led throughout the encounter, displaying better composure shooting the ball, and deserved to win. Leroy “Truck” Fludd was the key to Boys and Girls’ victory, pouring in 20 points, and got solid assistance from Bryce Jones, who hit 12 points and added four assists.

Vikings forward Wayne Martin about to take a free throw. 
Text and Photos by Orin Davidson Vikings forward Wayne Martin about to take a free throw. Text and Photos by Orin Davidson South Shore’s shooting woes were reflected in their individual scores with no player reaching double figures. Terrence Samuel had eight and Shamiek Sheppard six.

A dispirited Mike Beckles, coach of the Vikings, put the loss down to a bad day at the office. “We did not shoot well and did not get many things done,” he said. Asked to comment on the team’s overall season performance, Beckles stated, “We had some highs and some lows.”

From the opening whistle, the Vikings found themselves behind, and although both team teams had difficulties finding the basket, Boys and Girls were better and led 12-5 after the first quarter.

They extended that led to 29-20 by half-time as Fludd was beginning to find his rhythm. With three minutes remaining, he knocked down six answered points, beginning with a one-handed dunk from a breakaway play followed by two layups.

Although the Vikings increased their second half scoring, they could have added more points had they not missed the majority of 15 free throws.

Sheppard, Samuels and Wayne Martin had chances to decrease the lead to five points on three separate occasions, but either missed both attempts or one from the line.

ATyrone Johnson steal that culminated in a converted layup lifted the spirits of South Shore fans at the Lou Carneseca Arena in the final minutes, but by then South Shore found itself in foul trouble and the Kangaroos capitalized fully.

When Fludd converted both free throws with 1 minute, 27 seconds remaining, to make it 49-38, it effectively killed South Shore’s hopes and was evidence of the difference between the teams. Boys and Girls had converted 11 of 12 from the line, while South Shore netted less than 40 percent of theirs.

Return to top

Copyright© 2000 - 2017
Canarsie Courier Publications, Inc.
All Rights Reserved
Click here for digital edition
2012-03-08 digital edition