Officials Investigate Food That Possibly Sickened P.S. 115 Students
Many assumed the pizza that students had for lunch might have been responsible for containing food poisoning. However, hundreds of other students at the East 92nd Street school had the same lunch and didn't get sick.
The children who fell ill suffered from nausea and vomiting and were all from the same classroom. City Department of Health (DOH) officials at first investigated whether there was a virus going around the classroom.
One parent, who said she wanted to remain anonymous, volunteered at the Daniel Mucatel school that day and said she helped serve 800 children the same lunch.
"If it was the whole shipment of pizza, everyone would have gotten sick," she said. "But the other students were fine and it's strange that the illness was confined to that one thirdgrade class in one room."
While police from the 69th Precinct responded to the incident, officials said when they got there, children were being taken away in ambulances and the matter was turned over to the Department of Health. Some reports said a handful of children refused medical treatment.
A statement from the DOH released to the Canarsie Courier on Monday stated the following: “The Department of Health has followed up with P.S. 115 and all of the parents, per our regular protocol. The school's kitchen was also inspected and several violations were corrected during the inspection.”
Department of Education spokesperson Margie Feinberg said the incident is still under investigation and the school's principal, Denis Guerin, did not offer a public statement at press time.