FIRE CLOSES SCHOOL IN MARINE PARK
Shortly before classes started and before most of the school’s students had even entered the three-story building at 1925 Stuart Street, an allhands alarm was sounded and a dozen units from Battalion 33, including Engine Co. 321 on Gerritsen Avenue, rushed to the scene.
A Fire Department spokesperson told the Courier that investigators believed materials for replacement of the school’s roof sparked the blaze around 7:40 a.m. There were no injuries and the fire, which never spread into the building, was contained in about 40 minutes.
Many of the school’s 992 students and teachers spent Tuesday in classrooms at P.S. 207, which is about a mile away. Some students went home, while others called a parent to pick them up when they learned the building had been closed.
In addition to cleaning the debris from the fire, the air quality in the building was tested overnight for asbestos, since the firefighters damaged the roof and third floor ceiling while battling the blaze. Notices were posted on the school’s entry doors yesterday morning indicating that the air in the building was safe for students and staff.