2010-02-04 / Other News

Missing Boy’s Biological Mother Released From Jail

By Charles Rogers

The biological mother of the seven-year-old boy missing from his Starrett City foster home since January 22 has been released from custody after she was jailed under a contempt of court charge a week ago. Family Court Judge Terrence McElrath had Jennifer Rodriguez, 23, locked up because he said she was not telling all she knew about the disappearance of the youngster, Patrick Alford.

Sources said Ms. Rodriguez told police she’d “racked her brain” trying to come up with possible places the boy has been hiding in the meantime. However, Rodriguez took a lie-detector test which produced positive results, according to sources, and the judge released her on the proviso that she help police find the boy.

Patrick disappeared two weeks ago when his foster mother, whose name was not revealed, was taking the garbage out at about 9:30 p.m. with the boy by her side. When she turned around to attend to the garbage, the boy vanished, she told police. At first she thought he went back upstairs in the building on Vandalia Avenue, but when he didn’t return, she got nervous and called 75th Precinct police.

The boy had been put in the foster home by Administration for Children’s Services because his mother had been accused of a felony, according to published reports. The foster parents, neighbors said, are “old hands” at raising foster children and had a good record bringing them up responsibly for “more than 20 years.”

When Patrick didn’t return after two days, police sent out K-9 Unit dogs to search along the banks of Jamaica Bay and the Spring Creek inlet, while helicopters and other personnel from the NYPD Emergency Services Unit (ESU) searched the shoreline and the grounds nearby.

Patrick said he was unhappy with his foster parents and, as late as early on the day of his disappearance, was threatening to try to reach his mother, police said. He was wearing a red tee shirt, blue jeans, black sneakers and no jacket. Neighbors said they “almost expected” him to return last weekend because of the cold weather.

Anyone with information is asked to call the 75th Precinct Detective Squad at (718) 827-3511 or Crime Stoppers at 1-800-577-TIPS.

Return to top

Copyright© 2000 - 2017
Canarsie Courier Publications, Inc.
All Rights Reserved