2009-10-01 / Other News


Canarsie’s first police precinct (left) was located in Willett’s Hotel. The jail cells were on the first floor and the police station and court room were on the second. A wood-frame stationhouse on the north side of Avenue G (Glenwood Road) midway between East 94 and East 95 Street was built in 1894. In 1968 it was torn down and was replaced with the present building at Rockaway and Foster avenues. It has three floors, three cells and ample parking spaces have been provided for patrol cars. Compiled by Dara Mormile

Return to top

Copyright© 2000 - 2017
Canarsie Courier Publications, Inc.
All Rights Reserved