2007-05-24 / Sports

Rain Hinders Play At Mayor's Cup Cricket Quarterfinals

By Marcus Bethel

By Marcus Bethel

Smith's XI team was victorious last Saturday. 
Smith's XI team was victorious last Saturday. Cricketers from the American Cricket League got the better of the Brooklyn League representatives in the quarterfinals of the Mayor's Cup Cricket Competition at Marine Park last Saturday.

After winning the toss, Brooklyn's Team 3 captain invited Smith's XI of the American League to take first strike. Smith's XI had an early setback when opener C. Thomas went for two in the opening over - caught off the bowling of L. Douglas - to give Brooklyn's Team 3 a desirable start.

The Brooklyn League team celebration was short lived as positive batting in the middle order consolidated the innings for Smith's XI. A commanding 46 from 25 balls from skipper D. Smith, supported by a solid 27 from N. Stanford, set the pace for a big total. It was, however, the massive hitting of G. Sobers with a shot filled 61 that highlighted the proceedings. The boys of the American League were well set on 180 for six when the 20th over was bowled.

Bowling for Brooklyn's Team 3, L. Douglas once again looked impressive, taking three wickets for nine runs in three overs. His support came from K. George with two for 35 and D. Alexander who took one wicket for 42.

In their reply at the wicket, Brooklyn League Team 3 was hindered by a steady rain that drenched the outfields and soaked the matting, making it difficult to conduct an effective run chase.

Needing nine runs per over, Brooklyn's Team 3 were able to maintain eight runs per over until the fourth over when they started losing wickets. Positive batting from the team's leading batsman, G. Anthony, kept the momentum for a while but when he departed on 23 with his team still needing well over 100 runs to win, the scales began to tip.

It was in the 17th over with the score on 90 for six, needing a further 91 runs from three overs, that the captains called the game as the rain continued. G. Sobers followed up on his spectacular batting with an impressive bowling spell of two for 20 form four overs. T. Jordan took two for 23, with A. Niles and M. Sandiford getting a wicket a piece.

In the Cornwall vs. St. Lucia game, the latter bowled out 143 in 19.1 overs after getting a great start from. E. James top scored for the Lucians with 48, while L. Serieux got 27. Bowling for Cornwall, D. Parnel took three for 14, J. Allen two for 21 and J. Forgerson two for 24, from their respective 4 overs.

Cornwall replied strongly on the wet wicket, scoring 145 for two in 17.1 overs, winning the game convincingly and staking their place in the semi finals. O. Powell batted well for 89 not out, getting support from R. Alexander with 28. K. Samuel was St. Lucia's best bowler getting the two wickets to fall while being taken for 25 runs.

The other two scheduled games were postponed due to constant showers. The competition continues Saturday at the Canarsie Park and Floyd Bennett cricket fields where the final will be staged. With six teams remaining and two semifinalists already decided, a thrilling finale is in the making.

Return to top

Copyright© 2000 - 2017
Canarsie Courier Publications, Inc.
All Rights Reserved