2006-10-19 / Other News

Owner Urges Caution As His Little Dog Is Killed By Big Dog On Pier

By Charles Rogers

The late JazzboneThe late Jazzbone Nice man, Stuart H. Tresser of East 46th Street. Until last weekend he could be seen almost nightly driving onto Canarsie Pier with his 85-year-old mother Ilse and their dog Jazzbone, who had been in the family for 14 years, so they could walk in the even-ing breeze together; the three of them.

Now just two members of the family will take the evening excursion be-cause another dog viciously killed Jazzbone.

Nearly in tears, Tresser, 57, told of the circumstances surrounding his little best friend's death.

"I want people to know so they won't have to go through what I went through; so they won't have their dog put through the pain Jazzbone endur-ed."

He said he followed all his usual habits: parking the car, at about 7 p.m., taking the dog and the little plastic bag and "pooper scooper" with him for a brief walk around the perimeter of the pier while his mother also walked a short distance and then waited in the car. Jazzbone, a mixture of poodle and cocker spaniel, loved the ride and the subsequent walk. It gave him a chance to stretch his legs, sniff the trees and you-know-the-rest, which Tresser would meticulously clean up afterwards, ty-ing the plastic bag and throwing it into a proper receptacle.

This time, however, as he walked over to the garbage can, a dog he re-ferred to as "a huge monster" came out of the shadows and immediately jumped on Jazzbone, sinking his teeth into the smaller dog's back.

"I thought I heard the dog's owner tell him to attack, but I'm not sure," Tresser said. "The big dog wasn't a Pit Bull. It was much bigger than the big-gest Pit Bull I've ever seen." After the initial attack, Tresser again thought he heard the owner call his dog back. He said the man and his dog fled north on Rockaway Parkway.

"I was knocked to the ground when the dog jumped on Jazzbone," Tresser said. "My poor little guy's back fur was almost torn off." He said he had to kick the attacking canine until he let go.

Tresser gathered his yelping dog in his arms and took him to a veterinary hospital where, after examining the injured canine, they announced he needed more than $4,600 worth of work, and even then his chances would be marginal. Meanwhile, they gave Jazz-bone morphine and other medicines to fight the pain.

Tresser said it didn't matter how much it cost; his dog meant the world to him and his mother and he would somehow come up with the money.

Sadly, all the talk of money and material things didn't matter because Jazzbone passed away a few hours later.

"I was only glad to see him out of pain," said Tresser.

"I'm only telling this to warn people about what's out there," he said. "I know this guy intended for his dog to attack - just for the fun of it. What kind of mindless person could do this?"

Tesser said he is contacting local legislators to ask that they sponsor measures "that would make it absolute-ly mandatory for owners of certain 'attack-type' dogs to have liability insurance and to make it a felony to have those dogs run without a leash or muzzle."

"Everybody should be very careful," he concluded. "People with 'mon-ster' dogs like this could attack again."

Return to top

Copyright© 2000 - 2017
Canarsie Courier Publications, Inc.
All Rights Reserved