Wonderful news: New York City is the cleanest it's been in over three decades! And since keeping a city the size of New York clean depends on all of us, credit over this historic achievement not only exciting subway, bus and other outdoor print ads, encouraging New Yorkers to keep New York City clean. At the same time, Keep America Beautiful (KAB) - the nationwide non-profit organization - took the opportunity to kick off its annual New York City Great American Clean Up.
The Stomp Out Litter campaign is a joint effort of the Department of Sanitation, the Mayor's Fund to Advance New York City, and Waste Management, Inc, in conjunction with Stomp, the long-running New York hit percussion theatre troupe.
And this is how, on a crisp and radiant spring morning, the Stomp Out Litter campaign was officially launched. Members of Stomp performed on an outdoor stage, much to the delight of those attending the event, as well as countless passers by. Actor Tony Danza, whose father was a Sanitation Worker, cheered on our volunteer cleaners and urged all New Yorkers to Stomp Out Litter.
There was also a brief award ceremony, and a representative from the White House presented two New Yorkers with the President's Volunteer Service Award. The recipients of this honor were at both ends of the age spectrum: 104-year-old Queens resident Carl Berner, volunteer par excellence , still working very hard to keep his community of Middle Village clean, and 15-year-old Raymart Dinglas, member of the High School of Environmental Studies' Golden Apple award winning class, who also volunteers to increase recycling awareness in his school.
And now to the heart of our anti-litter campaign... Here are the top 10 ways to Stomp Out Litter and improve cleanliness in our communities and our city. The bottom line is that there's always room for improvement: New York City streets and sidewalks could be cleaner.
With this goal in mind, Mayor Michael Bloomberg and I recently announced the launching of a dynamic new anti-litter initiative: Stomp Out Litter . This public awareness campaign features a series of vibrant public service announcements, as well as colorful and
TOP 10 WAYS TO STOMP OUT LITTER
10. Participate in neighborhood volunteer clean-up efforts.
Keep your sidewalk and storefront clean.
8. Don't toss litter into the street from your vehicle.
7. Don't pile candy wrappers or fast-food packaging onto garbage bags awaiting collection.
6. Don't throw empty coffee cups or napkins into the street. WAIT FOR THE NEXT LITTER BASKET
5. Use litter baskets only for pedestrian litter, not household or commercial refuse
4. Place garbage out for collection in cans with tightly fitting lids, or heavy plastic bags
3. Tell your kids that garbage belongs in the garbage can, not on their street or sidewalk. Better yet, teach them by YOUR example
2. Illegal dumping makes neighborhoods look awful and besides ... it's against the law
... and THE BEST WAY TO STOMP OUT LITTER ...
1. JUST DON'T DO IT!
For more information, call 311 or visit our website at: www.nyc.gov/sanitation.