2001-10-11 / Top Stories

Ambulance Corps President Hurt

Ambulance Corps President Hurt

During Sept. 11 Rescue Attempt

By Charles Rogers

"It was something I’ll never, ever forget," said Aaron Bogad, president of the Canarsie-Spring Creek Volunteer Ambulance Corps. "I was injured as the second building fell and, worse yet, I lost my partner in the disaster."

Bogad works as an emergency medical technician for Cabrini Hospital. He and his partner, Marc Sullins, 30, were among the first emergency rescuers to arrive at the site of the World Trade Center on September 11th, just as the buildings were collapsing around them.

He and Sullins arrived near the scene shortly after the first plane crashed into Tower One and immediately began searching for victims.

"I was near the north side and Sullins went around the back when I heard a roar and debris started falling all around me," he said. "I started running and was hurt when some of that debris hit me and I fell to the ground."

The next thing Bogad knew was that he was being taken to another Cabrini ambulance by fellow EMTs.

When he inquired about his partner, the reply was that Sullins was last seen heading toward World Trade Tower Two to aid victims on the ground floor seconds before the building collapsed.

"When I was taken back to Cabrini Hospital," Bogad said, "I found I had damaged ligaments in my knee, contusions and flashburn all over my face."

He didn’t know about the flashburn, he said, thinking it might have been sunburn from a previous day in the sun, until doctors told him his eyebrows had been singed. "It must have happened when I looked up at the explosions and fire before the buildings collapsed," he said.

Bogad said he was gratified that, while he was being brought to the ambulance near the blast site, a passerby with a cell phone asked him if he wanted her to call anyone to let them know he was all right. He gave the passerby the number to call his wife, Arlene, who is also a member of the local volunteer ambulance corps.

"Arlene was just going out the door when the attack happened and decided to wait, turning on the television set to watch what was going on," Bogad said. "Needless to say, she was anxious at first, but the phone call from the passerby relieved some of the tension right away."

Bogad said there is a fund being established in the name of his friend and fellow EMT: The Marc Sullins Emergency Medical Services Fund. To make a donation, call (212)995-7003.

If you want to contact Aaron Bogad, he can be reached through the SC-CVAC number at 649-3333.

Return to top

Copyright© 2000 - 2017
Canarsie Courier Publications, Inc.
All Rights Reserved