2001-04-26 / Other News

"Threat" Youth Expelled...

"Threat" Youth Expelled...

"Threat" Youth Expelled...

suspended and police confiscated a licensed handgun from the boy’s father.

When parents of children in P.S. 236 heard the boy was being transferred to their school on Thursday, April 19th, they vehemently protested to authorities — mainly Principal Mary Barton and School District 22 Superintendent John Comer — and kept nearly half of the 700 enrolled students home Monday, demanding to meet with the officials that night.

They became more furious when they held the meeting and, although some members of the school board were present, neither Comer nor Barton attended. The following morning, however, the boy was not in classes and nearly 600 students were in school.

By Tuesday afternoon, City Schools Chancellor Harold Levy said the "district authorities are making arrangements for alternative instruction for the boy."

"Now that things are back to normal, I’m happy," said a mother of one of the students, "but I’m still not too happy with the way we were kept in the dark about the boy being transferred here and what was being done about it."

Another woman said, "It was good to see that the media paid attention to our problem. Without them being here, the whole situation might have been hushed up."

Police from the 63rd Precinct were on hand during mild protest marches Monday and Tuesday morning and said things were "very quiet and orderly" at all times.

Officials said the suspended student had been in trouble before and said he was enrolled in the district’s Eagle Program for gifted students.

Mindy Canarick, a parent who was marching in front of P.S. 236 Monday and Tuesday, said she felt "some compassion" for the boy, but "the way things are, we have to be careful all the time. We have to think of our own children first."

Return to top

Copyright© 2000 - 2014
Canarsie Courier Publications, Inc.
All Rights Reserved